Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Whoopings Don't Last Always



Like most children, I was scared of getting spankings. In fact, I was so scared that once confronted with a "Why did you do that?" or a "Didn't I tell you to...?" I would freeze in place, fretting the inevitable whooping that was seconds away from my behind. As my mother reached for a stray bedroom slipper or belt, one thought helped me to endure and somehow ignore the painit'll soon fade away.

Even as an adult, I use the same concept to deal with dissappointment or heartbreak. To ease the knot in my chest, I'd say to myself: this will soon past, and it did. After a while, I didn't even remember it. All the anguish vanished, leaving me with only a memory.

As we move closer and closer in the kingdom of God, it'll seem that we're dealing with more, and bigger, dissappoint-
ments in life. Not getting into the college of your choice, dropping out of school because of poor grades, a tuition that out-matches your bank accounts. (sigh) It's depressing just to think about it. Life's setbacks sting just like a whooping from your mom or dad, but whoopings can't sting forever. The pain wears off.

Your heavenly Father knew what battles you would endure. In fact, He knew how much it would hurt you and thus develop a better you. James 1:2-4 reads, "Be joyful when you find yourself in seemingly impossible situations, which tests your faith in the seen versus the unseenwhat men says is impossible versus what God has already made possible for youand mature you."

God has set you up to win and win you will. "Troubles don't last always" is not just a cute saying. It's real. Don't you want to know what happens in the next chapter? How does your story end? If Oprah can overcome incest and promiscuity, if Tyler Perry could hold onto a dream while living in a car, why should you be exempt from your success story.

Next time life gives you a spanking, reach back, grab God's promise to you and hit back. When there's no more punch in you, kick! When there's no more kick, shout and when you shout, shout out the biggest praise that you can. Even the smallest faith can create divine favor with college administrators who'll give your application a second look. With God giving you brand new mercies every morning, a financial blessing is heading your way.

I am a walking, living and talking witness that we go through challenges to do just thatchallenge us to trust Him more, love Him more, give up more and do more in His name. Like the songs says, let God prove that He keeps His word.

What are some of your academic setbacks? How are you coping with the sting?

No comments:

Post a Comment