Tuesday, November 9, 2010

When Waiting Gets Tough



Waitingthere's nothing I detest more than waiting. Waiting for the bus. Waiting behind two miles of traffic. Waiting for the water to boil. Waiting on the hot water to come through the pipes. I'm ashamed to admit it now, but I've even gotten tired of waiting on the Lord. (gasp!) Oh, am I the only one?

Waiting to hear back from a scholarship selection committee or an acceptance letter can be a dreadful, worrisome segment of your college career. Waiting for a call of acceptance into grad school meant I stopped breathing each time an unfamiliar number appeared on the caller-ID, as I anticipated the 'yes' or 'no' that would change my life.

It's like waiting for the results of a tumor. C'mon doc!! Is it cancerous or benign or what?! Sitting in a waiting room for 10 minutes can seem like a decade. Anxiety has bitten your nails to stumps and hammered a cramp in your left thigh.

We can be anxious, too. Maybe you were like me, saying: I want all the stuff that the devil stole from me NOW!! What a spoiled brat I was. Before snapping out of that selfish, blasphemous mentality, I thought because I was ready to be blessed, God should simply bless me. Sooner than later, I learned that it's in the waiting room that God molds us. Waiting on the Lord offers more tips on this concept.

For many, the economy has slowed life down. It takes longer to get out of debt, purchase a home, refinance the car and earn a degree. Every day we grow older, move slower while working twice as hard to reach our academic dreams. Even while praising Him every day and reminding God that your greatest desire is to graduate from college and earn a degree, it can be disheartening. You pray: Lord, I need this 'A' on my final exams. I need a financial breakthrough to pay for my tuition next year. The Lord knows. He heard your prayer. He keeps His promises.

Just like the children from Egypt, God waited generations (or 40 years) to deliver them from the wilderness, and even more from Pharaoh, before leading them to the Promise Land. He allowed Joseph to suffer at his brothers' hands, slavery and captivity before sitting him on the throne. Joseph was refined and polished in his spiritual relationship before receiving his divine destiny.

Surely, in the presence of your haters you will graduate from college. Surely, God will bless your career beyond your imagination... if you just wait. And while you wait, have hope, have faith and never take your heart off of God and what He promised you. Philippians 4:6-7 tells us to not be anxious for anything, but be prayerful and rest in the peace of God.

While we may be impatient about trivial things like 5 o'clock traffic and waiting for the water to boil, take comfort in knowing that God has your best interest at heart for the bigger things. His supernatural power and divine intervention exceeds deadlines and cut-offs points. Be anxious for nothing, but giving Him the glory in advance.

What are you waiting on the Lord for? Have you ever gotten impatient with God or the destiny that you see for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment